Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blog Tour: Outshine

Welcome to my stop on the Outshine blog tour! My review will be posted down below the book details, so make sure to read through everything!

Outshine 
by Nola Decker
YA Science Fiction


Book Synopsis:
When agoraphobic Gabe and his outgoing nemesis Jessa go on a moonlit road trip to locate Gabe's missing brother, the two teens discover they are both hiding unnatural abilities:  Gabe is a living lie detector and Jessa is a kick-ass powerhouse pretending to be a delicate diva.

Gabe's sole reason for searching for Watts, his overbearing younger brother, is to clear his own name: he's been framed for Watts' alleged murder.  Jessa is after Watts because she is, well, after him.

They find him with Deacon, the twisted eugenicist responsible for their unusual powers. He encourages them to stay and join his "Family" where they'll be able to live openly as the genetically-modified freaks that they are. When Jessa and Gabe uncover the truth about Deacon's past--and what he wants for the future--they band together to stop him. Watts, however, might have other plans . . .

Author Bio:
Nola Decker is the only writer in Seattle who doesn't drink coffee. She makes up for her happy and healthy childhood by writing stories in which terrible things happen to young people. She loves salted caramel anything and Fridays.

Twitter handle: @nola_decker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nola.decker
Website: www.noladecker.com
Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8178025.Nola_Decker
Amazon page link: http://amzn.com/B00JND06LI

By the way, I think that is my favorite Author Bio ever. Like I might have to steal from it if I get published. Okay, no, I won't go that far, though it is excellent.

My Thoughts:
Wow. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Outshine. It has the popular girl, the loser-like boy, and the popular guy. It has some romance. It has the sci-fi. It has the action. It has the mystery. It has everything. Except flat-out gruesome murder. But that's probably a good thing.
     This is by far one of my favorite books. You know how I know? Because I was provided with a copy to review and I went on Amazon and bought a paperback for myself. It's that good. But what's all my hype about?
     Each character has a secret behind their exterior. Not like a normal I-stole-my-mom's-car secret. An I-have-secret-powers secret. Which makes them awesome. They also have very unique voices. I very much appreciated the use of duo storytelling, with the chapters alternating between Jessa and Gabe. It helped develop the voices and make each character have a very strong personality.
     I also loved the originality of Outshine. I couldn't really find anything that I'd seen before, which was astounding. From the plot to the world, everything was new and unique to the story.
     Nola Decker has a fabulous voice. It is strong and blends with the her novel, making a lovely story that not many people can accomplish. Her style is also very developed. And I have an inkling that she is quite determined. Only because this book seemed to be checked meticulously for mistakes. I think I found one typo in the entire book. If I even found one.
     The world is half real, half made-up and new. But I wasn't at all worried about what was going on. I knew through all the details and visualizing. I also liked how much detail was thrown into describing Gabe's hometown. I've never been there, so it really is great knowing what I can see and where I can see it.
     I was devastated that the book ended, especially when I saw Nola's note in the back, promising a very upsetting story for what happens to the characters. I'm very pleased and excited, though, that she also told me to expect a sequel next Spring. Which means I know what book I'll be looking forward to for seven months!

Rating: 5 stars. Honestly, with all my gushing love above, did you think I'd give it anything less? If I did, I'd be lying. And I wouldn't want to cause Gabe any more pain than I probably do...

Thank you so much Sage Adderley for inviting me on this tour! It was amazing! Stunning. You know me so well when it comes to book tours I'd love to join!

And thank you to the amazingly talented Nola Decker for writing Outshine. I'm not sure how I survived before I read this book. I'm not sure how I'll survive until the spring.
~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment