Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Blog Tour: Review: Burden of Souls





Sci-Fi / Dark Fantasy
Date Published:September 2014

   
  Small Town, Dark Heart…
A long way from anywhere, on a road going nowhere, lays a small, unremarkable town. It seems a peaceable, prosperous little place, on the surface at least.
Away from prying eyes however, in the shadows and the forgotten corners, there is a web being weaved through the lives of its inhabitants by the town’s urbane and mysterious Mayor. A man prepared to make a deal for your heart's desire and, maybe, for your very soul…
Welcome to Hawker’s Drift, a town where nothing is quite as it seems…


Andy Monk

Andy Monk lives in London with his partner and their goldfish.
After a high-flying academic career and glittering success in professional sport, followed by a jet-set lifestyle of wild parties, exotic holidays and beautiful women, he settled down to write internationally acclaimed best-selling novels.
Andy Monk has a tendency to exaggerate and has an occasionally tenuous grip on reality.
He does, however, have a goldfish.





My Thoughts: So I thought I'd try something a bit different this time and review as I am reading the book. Sounds fun.

I very much like the chapter titles. I think giving the characters titles and positions but not really names is incredible. It really sets up the chapter and gives some premonition into what will happen.

Wow. The description is very good. Pleasing. I am envisioning the little town and I see everything and it scares me and intrigues me at the same time. I want to visit. The author uses thought-provoking words that are carefully chosen to paint the picture correctly. I'm impressed.

I like how the setting is not a normal setting. How I picture this is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, desert-like, with stereotypical western music playing in the background. Yes, it's playing all the time in my head. I think it really boosts the story and advances it, whereas it would not do half as well in a big city.

I'm just impressed with the style and writing of this book overall. It's very unique and original and nice to read.

I forgot to put this above: the characters are well-written, as well.

I feel bad for not writing a long review, but I've said before, a short review is good for me because it means I really liked it and had nothing to complain about:)

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment