Monday, September 29, 2014

Review: Joe

14759015
Joe
H.D. Gordon

Synopsis:
From the author of the Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a book that will take you into the mind of a genuine psychopath, the lives of six ordinary people, and the world of a very special girl named Joe.

Joe is seemingly an ordinary college student. She works, studies and reads. But in between these activities Joe has a gift that promises to add a dose of color to her life at any given moment. Joe sees things before they happen. Bad things, and the worst thing she has ever faced is just around the corner. Someone is planning a massacre at the college university that Joe attends, and the only person with a hope of stopping the psychopath is her.


Oh, the beauty of foresight. More like a curse. Joe has four days to figure out the mystery, make plans to take down the psycho, and save the lives of people. People like you and me. Ordinary people.


Me thoughts:
Oh my gosh I think I'm slightly incomprehensible because this book was so amazing. It is told in seven (possibly more?) viewpoints, between five students, one extraordinary girl, and a psychopath. Everyone is college age and they each have totally different lives. One girl is about to commit suicide, one is about to see his daughter, one is about to see his long-lost love, one is becoming more and more attached to Joe, and one is just tired of her life as a teacher. I love reading in the different points, because you can hear the characters speaking and they each sound so lovely. They are all well-written and have a purpose in advancing the story.

Joe is so original and her story is incredible. I love her backstory and relationship with the neighbor, Mr. Landry. I also just enjoyed how she interacted with other characters. And my favorite thing? She isn't a typical hero. SHE HAS A STUTTER. I love that so much because I think it is so important for main characters/heroines to be flawed. It gives them a realistic edge and I think this totally hooked me.

The psychopath. Yes, there is a madman's point of view. And wow, you can tell this guy is a psychopath. Everything he does, from the planning and execution of his plans and just his way of thought. I love it. He is a perfect character and the point of view really is excellent.

I like how I was kept on my toes the entire book. The ending caught me unaware because I thought something else would stop it. It being...yeah. But I love how the characters continue to do surprising things with their lives. I also like how everything leads up to the specific date: Monday. It was nice to only span 4 days but still be so enticing.

The ending slightly killed me. I was so upset with the deaths because they were emotional deaths and yeah...sadness....

Rating: 5 stars
~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment