Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Review: The Blood of Olympus

The Blood of Olympus
By Rick Riordan



18705209Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the Argo II have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen—all of them—and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood—the blood of Olympus—in order to wake.

The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.

The Athena Parthenos will go west; the Argo II will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.


REVIEW
Okay, so I am a huge fan of the Percy Jackson series; I have been for about five years now. I remember reading the original series so quickly, then being ecstatic when the Heroes of Olympus series was announced. I have the entire new series in hardcover, from buying them on release day. And this year, for Blood of Olympus, I actually got to go to a Rick Riordan event. 
     I've been dying to see RR in person since Mark of Athena, when I checked the tour schedule and realized he was two hours away but the stop was that day and I couldn't go. The next year, no stops were close enough except for Nashville, which I went to two weeks later for James Dashner. So finally, this year, I got to see him for the BoO release and got my signed copy (!!!!).
     I actually got up on Saturday and read and read and read, stopping every once in a while to do things like laundry and other chores. About eleven o'clock at night, I finished. And I was not disappointed.
     Blood was full of the snark and sass that we love from the Seven, along with new sides of characters that we didn't really realize were there. The pov's are Jason, Nico (!!), Reyna, Leo, and Piper. I was really happy to see the different sides of Nico and Reyna, since they were totally new pov's. I also liked how they developed a unique friendship together.
     The characters face new situations in Blood and they are fighting monsters, just like always. It starts off perfectly, with Piper, Annabeth, and Jason getting attacked and bombarded by a bunch of spirits. Percy and Jason (SPOILERS) both get seriously wounded throughout the book, but they heal. Frank and Hazel make it okay, Percabeth is fine, Jason and Piper are great, Leo finds someone (*wink wink*). They meet more gods and goddesses, which is always fun. Also, I'm still so in awe of RR's talents with humor. His characters show it and I can tell you I was crying throughout the book from laughter. Especially at Apollo ("I must master the Valdezinator") and Nike (everything she says). RR knows how to keep readers laughing, young and old alike.
     I'm really happy with how everything tied together. All loose ends are fixed and things make sense. And I'm happy. The camps about to battle are cool, Octavion gets what he deserves (though his ending was a little quick), and Gaea is stopped (okay, yes that's a spoiler but it's a very obvious one). Nico finds someone (eeek!!!) and ties things up with Percy. I wanted to see more of them after the "chat" but that's okay. Maybe one day. Reyna regains power, yay!!! Everything works out really well and a fan won't be upset with the ending.
     I'm really happy about the whole giants and the fight scene that raises Gaea. Especially because of Percy's nosebleed. I also like how RR used the two oldest characters to raise Gaea. Percy and Annabeth do everything together, even wake the Earth Goddess. I like how the giants were there to stop them and how it turned into a trap and how the rest of the Seven came to save the day. AND THEN THE GODS CAME!!!! I was so happy with that part alone, because each god and goddess went and fought with their child. And a lot of the newer characters hadn't met their parent yet, so I was so happy that they got to meet in battle and fight together. And then Poseidon and Percy, Athena and Annabeth. Just a great scene. And it was so well-written, so fun to read.
     Then only thing I really didn't love is that Gaea was defeated so quickly. As in, she rises on Half-Blood Hill, is snatched up by Festus, and explodes. Boom. That's it. But Zeus even says the worst is yet to come after the Giants Fight, but it was so simple, almost too easy. I was rather upset by that. I wanted more detail into the battle with her. I know the battle with Kronos was an entire book (am I remembering wrong?) and the final showdown was CRAZY. Gaea, for being worse than Kronos, was a piece of cake to destroy.
     I'm so glad nobody really died. At all. But I'm kinda upset about that. What? Upset because there weren't any deaths? Yes, you read right. In The Last Olympian, the deaths kept you emotionally attached and reminded you that war is brutal and it destroys too many things. In BoO, it was almost too happy. As in, even in the battles, they got cuts and scrapes and that was it. It was even foretold that one of the Seven would die. That REALLY put me on edge and I was going crazy with worry but I was also ready to find out. Then there was the cure and the one to die could actually live and that really got to me. I wanted a disaster to happen, to keep it realistic. I get that this was the final book, the end of an era, but look at Deathly Hallows, The Last Olympian. The deaths were horribly sad, but good. Maybe even an emotional scar would have changed BoO. I needed a little more sadness.
     Overall, I loved this book. It was incredible. I'm so glad that the PJ series ended how it did, though I'm going to miss it. I don't think my brain has wrapped around the idea that it is OVER. Well, I suppose I'll come to terms eventually.

Rating: 5 stars I know I complained about two kinda-big things above, but trust me, I'm not in any way unhappy with this book. It was incredible and will stick with me forever. Excuse me, I'm going to go cry.

Favorite quotes: "You're not a Leo, I'm a Leo. You're a Percy." ~Leo
"I will learn the Valdezinator." ~Apollo
"AN A MINUS IS A FAILURE!" ~Nike
*I have so many more but I don't want to overwhelm you...*

NEWS:
-Rick Riordan's new series, about the Norse gods, will be called Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard!!!!! Yes, Magnus CHASE, as in relative of Annabeth. Magnus will live in modern Boston and everything will be Norse!
-Greek Gods is out. All the stories of the gods and goddesses, told from Percy's point of view! All that snark is back, yay!
-And after Greek Gods comes Greek Heroes! RR says that Percy will be back in the heroes' stories and that the book might be so thick it can't be lifted. I'll take that as a good sign.

                             Greek Gods                                                                    Greek Heroes
20829994             

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment