Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Review: Ruined

Ruined by Marian Cheatham 
Publication date: July 2014 

Genres: Romance, Young Adult

Synopsis:
When your life has been ruined by lies, do you seek justice … or revenge?

Blythe Messina spends her senior year focused on her studies and college, and not on her ex, Stratford High’s lacrosse star, DB Whitmore. At least, that’s what Blythe keeps telling herself. But her younger cousin, Bonni, knows otherwise. Same goes for DB, who professes to be over Blythe and their breakup, but his teammates aren’t fooled.

When scandalous photos of Bonni and the lacrosse captain are texted around Stratford, Bonni’s virtuous reputation is ruined. She pleads innocence, but no one believes her. No one, except Blythe and DB, who come together to uncover the truth. But, will they stay together?

Ruined is a modern twist on a classic Shakespearean romance.

“Deceit, loyalty, honor, and romance–Ruined has it all! A teen version of Much Ado About Nothing that Shakespeare aficionados are sure to savor!”
Kym Brunner, Author of Wanted: Dead or in Love & One Smart Cookie



Okay, so I really wanted to like this book. Really. I love the summary and the influence from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, which I actually haven't read. I was hoping to read it after this and compare.

Nope. I'm a bit disappointed, really. The story itself is not bad. Not bad at all. I like the high school setting and the scandal and how DB and Blythe work together again to help Bonni. I even like the romance included.

I just don't like the characters' voices. DB is way too enthusiastic about everything and he's also the stereotypical teenage jock, with the cocky mind and everything. For the first few chapters, he just tells people he's over Blythe but keeps thinking about how hot she is. It gets rather old. Blythe, on the other hand, is also stereotyped like crazy. She's the classic volunteer-my-time good-girl who is dead-set on impressing DB, though she says she isn't into him anymore. I got tired of the denying thing right away, especially since we are in their minds and know the truth. Maybe they could deny it to themselves, too, and make everything less obvious, or even deny it to their friends less often. The other jocks are stereotyped, as is everyone else.

I kept putting this book down, though I really didn't want to dislike it. I tried hard to keep reading but I can't force myself through the voices. They are the representation of a pet peeve of mine. If you don't mind very cliche characters, then you should seriously try this book. It has a great plot and good reasons behind everything.

2.5 stars

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment