Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Blog Tour: Review: Crossing the Ice Audiobook


Crossing the Ice (Ice #1)
by Jennifer Comeaux
Release Date: 08/03/14

Narrated by: Emily Stokes
Length: 9 hrs and 5 mins

Summary from Goodreads:
Falling hard never felt so good.
Pair skaters Courtney and Mark have one shot left at their Olympic dream. They vow not to let
anything get in their way, especially not Josh and Stephanie, the wealthy and talented brother
and sister team.
The heart doesn’t always listen to reason, though...
The more time Courtney spends with sweet, shy Josh, the harder she falls for him. But they are
on opposite sides of the competition, and their futures are headed in opposite directions. Will
their friendship blossom into more or are their paths too different to cross?




Buy: Audible│Amazon│Barnes & Noble│Kobo Books│iBooks


My Thoughts:
First thing's first: audiobook. I really did like the reader/speaker. I didn't have any sort of problem with her reading and I think she did a satisfactory job. To me, it kind of sucked because she read just slower than the pace I like but if I sped it up, it was WAY too fast. So I just kept with it. Definitely not a major problem.

Now for the book. Okay, I really liked this. I like the characters and how they all work together to have both romance and tension. Stephanie is one of the main sources of conflict here and I like that. She will just walk into a room and insult people. If I'm honest, I was hoping that we'd find out a reason for her meanness, but I suppose that's just who she is.

I was really interested in the ice skating influence/aspect of this. I live where we don't get snow, so of course there isn't really much ice. But that's something I've wanted to do for a while. I want to figure skate. So picking up a book with so much skating in it was really interesting. I loved the turns and jumps and everything. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing more.

I was so upset with the ending/almost ending. The Olympic try-outs. It killed me slightly. My only problem was that after that, it glossed over the actual Olympic meet and Josh's performance. I think it was an Olympic meet. I couldn't tell because it was so fast. Maybe it was because we are in Courtney's perspective; in that case, this was clever but I still think she would have cared more about Josh.

I liked Courtney's relationship with Mark. But at the same time, I didn't. I thought it would be more friendship and less Mark-wants-to-win. I got that attitude from him a few times and I couldn't imagine Courtney having a best friend who only wanted to win, not be close friends.

I thought the romance was rather cute. It follows Josh and Courtney and goes through how she doesn't want to fall for him but he really likes her and boom! she's fallen. It's really cute. And then they start hanging out more and more and that's even better and then there is a fallout and then it's back...yeah, it's good. The romance has its own story arc that ties into the actual arc, which is so perfect. That's the makings of a good romance book.

Awww, that ending. Yes, Josh, yes.

Overall, I thought this book was really good. It was nice just getting to listen to it. I was interested throughout, but I wish there was a little more ice skating. I thought there would be more of a focus on that.
4 stars

About the Author
Jennifer Comeaux is a tax accountant by day, writer by night. There aren’t any ice rinks near her
home in south Louisiana, but she’s a diehard figure skating fan and loves to write stories of
romance set in the world of competitive skating. One of her favorite pastimes is travelling to
competitions, where she can experience all the glitz and drama that inspire her writing. Jennifer
loves to hear from readers! Visit jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com for contact information and to
learn more about her books.


Giveaway




Organized by YA Bound Tours

~Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the awesome review and for being part of the tour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing!! I loved this book!

      Delete