Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Blog Tour: Review, Dream Cast: Gone Too Far

Gone Too Far

by Natalie D. Richards

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

Release Date: January 6th 2015



Synopsis:

Keeping secrets ruined her life. But the truth might just kill her.


Piper Woods can't wait for the purgatory of senior year to end. She skirts the fringes of high school like a pro until the morning she finds a notebook with mutilated photographs and a list of student sins. She's sure the book is too gruesome to be true, until pretty, popular Stella dies after a sex-tape goes viral. Everyone's sure it's suicide, but Piper remembers Stella's name from the book and begins to suspect something much worse.


Drowning in secrets she doesn't want to keep, Piper's fears are confirmed when she receives an anonymous text message daring her to make things right. All she needs to do is choose a name, the name of someone who deserves to be punished...


BOOK LINKS:

Amazon paperback: http://tinyurl.com/lbrckdu


My Thoughts
Oh my goodness I can't believe I was able to review this book. But I am so so glad I was, because wow, this seriously blew me away.

Okay, first, I love the mystery set up. It's not to the point of a crime/detective story, but this story deals with Piper, a girl who didn't speak up when another girl, Stella, is being bullied about a sex tape gone viral. When Stella suicides, Piper feels awful and gets a text basically saying she can make them pay. All she has to do is give the name of the person she wants revenge on. This goes on for a while, with new victims being humiliated. After a certain victim, Piper decides she can't do this anymore and wants out. But the mysterious texter won't let her out. And then he threatens her.

All the while, Piper is quickly falling for the hot football player, no matter how hard she tries not to. Only about halfway through does she decide to let him in and they start to date. Nick is a true gentleman and a sweet guy, just perfect for Piper through her crisis. He's also trusting and loyal, even when he finds out what she's done. They have a bit of a rough spot, but after that, all is fine and dandy and cute.

I really like how Piper is going along with the texter's plan at first because she thinks he is doing justice. Because she just saw Stella get bullied and then heard about her death and she wants revenge on the main guy who did the teasing, Jackson. I think the story is set up perfectly so that we empathize with her and we also want that revenge. It's done just right and if this was written any other way, I feel like we might not have gone along with this for so long. But I think the best part for me is when Piper realizes she is ruining lives. After she hears Jackson's comment about his dad, she seems to start to think more. And after victim three, she wants to quit. Because she realizes that what she is doing is affecting people to the extent of possibly ruining lives. And we see a good side to her.

Piper is perpetually good, even if she doesn't see it herself. She is such a strong and likeable MC. She ends up wanting a punishment for what she has done because she feels so wrong about it all. I love her even more after finishing the book. I love her decisions, even if I disagreed with one or two.

This kept me in suspense until the very end. There were plot twists and new things thrown in and I loved every second. I actually was sobbing at the end, but because I loved the characters so much. But Natalie, how could you do that to me?! Especially that character! And the effects it had!

Nick is awesome. He's really sweet and polite, but he also keeps Piper in check. She's sort of (okay, very) rude to him at first, but he handles her snark with grace and moves them on. And then of course they start dating and he still keeps her tame. He brings out a really good side of Piper. That being said, he's not perfect and Natalie doesn't pretend he is. He has flaws and he does show them every once in a while. He gets mad at Piper. But it's not the end of the world. They work through it. Piper realizes she was wrong. And that's so important. People aren't perfect and neither are book characters, no matter how much we want them to be.

Tate. Okay, I'll admit, I was so-so about him at first. Of course I didn't hate him, but I didn't love him, either. But on that fateful night, I completely melted toward him. Even more so at the party (trying for no spoilers here). And then at the end. Tate, seriously, you are the best. He develops so much and ugh I love the guy.

I love the ending and I might cry just typing this. I love the new group of friends and I love the conversation in the office, even if it did kill me slightly. I was sobbing through that whole part. And I just, ugh, I hate thinking about everything lost. That's what makes me so sad. But this book made me sad in a good way. If that's even possible.

Would I recommend this? Is that even a question? I've already started.

5 stars


Dream Cast
Piper Woods
Actress: I was going back and forth for a while, but I have to choose Hailee Steinfeld
Long brown hair and brown eyes

Manny Raines
Actor: Christopher Davis (I don't think he's actually an actor but I found him and he really reminds me of Manny)
Blond, brown eyes, freckles

Nick Patterson
Actor: Alex Pettyfer (Do you know how hard green eyed actors are to find?)
messy blond hair, tall, green eyes, dimples, broad shoulders

Jackson Pierce
Actor: Steven R. McQueen
dark hair, football player

Tate
Actor: Tom Felton
Model-like face, tall, blonde

Stella DuBois
Actress: Jackie Emerson
Photogenic, long red hair, fierce attitude

About the Author

At seven, Natalie D. Richards wrote about Barbara Frances Bizzlefishes (who wouldn't dare do the dishes.) Now she writes about awesome girls, broody boys, and all things dark and creepy. Natalie lives in Ohio (Go Bucks!) with her techno-wiz husband, three amazing kids, and a seventy pound dust-mop who swears he's the family dog. Her psychological thriller, Six Months Later, will be released in October 1, 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire. Until then, you'll probably find her writing her next book or trying to wade through the towers of dog-eared paperbacks that have taken over her bedroom.




AUTHOR LINKS:



Giveaway
Win (1) finished copy of Gone Too Far, a copy of Six Months Later and some swag (US Only)
a Rafflecopter giveaway


A HUGE thanks to Natalie for writing and for FFBC tours and NetGalley for my review copy!


~Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Ashley!!! I'm kind of totally blown away. And I'm so sorry -- that end killed me too. It was the easiest and hardest thing I'd ever written in my life. I love that person too! UGH, it hurt, but I knew it had to be that way. And Tate...holy my Lord, I love that boy. AND I ALMOST PICKED ALEX P IN MY VERSION OF THE DREAM CAST! :-) I know not everyone will be able to see Piper's goodness the way you do, but I am so glad she reached you. I'm TRULY moved by your review. Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to put this together. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much for writing! You're extremely talented and I can't wait for more:)

      Delete