Saturday, January 31, 2015

Review: Anyone?

Anyone?

by Angela Scott


23487625
The end of the world? That’s the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters and deep philosophical exercises in school. No need to sweat it. So when sixteen-year-old Tess’s doomsday-dad builds a bomb shelter in their suburban backyard, everyone thinks he’s gone crazy….

…Until fire rains down from the sky, sinking whole cities into colossal craters and setting much of the world ablaze.

Tess’s dad gives her a few short minutes to gather her emergency bag and her freaked-out kitten, then leads her outside and into the underground shelter. Terrified, the last thing she expects is for him to leave her there all alone, but he has no choice—he must find her missing brother.

Before leaving, he makes Tess promise to keep the hatch door shut, not to open it for anyone but him, and to stay put until he returns.

But he forgot to tell her one thing: What is she supposed to do if he never comes back?




My Thoughts:
Okay, do I need to get myself a bunker? I feel like that is a necessity after reading this book. Also, I feel like the author knows something and the world is ending soon. Just a feeling.

Whoa I loved the idea of the dystopian end of the world. I also like how we start with the earthquake. The very first page. I didn't have to read through six chapters of life which would bog this book down. The disaster is perfect for this.

I'm so happy that Tess is realistic. In the bunker, she's freaking out. When her dad doesn't return, she's freaking out. Outside the bunker, she's freaking out. But even though she is scared, she keeps her head and keeps moving forward. She's so strong and I admire her so much.

This book is written so well. The dialogue, both internal and external, is realistic and perfect. The setting and the world-building is wonderfully done. The characters are developed and I couldn't put this book down.

5 stars

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment