Monday, January 5, 2015

Review: Open Road Summer

17978160Open Road Summer
Emery Lord
After breaking up with her bad-news boyfriend, Reagan O’Neill is ready to leave her rebellious ways behind. . . and her best friend, country superstar Lilah Montgomery, is nursing a broken heart of her own. Fortunately, Lilah’s 24-city tour is about to kick off, offering a perfect opportunity for a girls-only summer of break-up ballads and healing hearts. But when Matt Finch joins the tour as its opening act, his boy-next-door charm proves difficult for Reagan to resist, despite her vow to live a drama-free existence. This summer, Reagan and Lilah will navigate the ups and downs of fame and friendship as they come to see that giving your heart to the right person is always a risk worth taking. A fresh new voice in contemporary romance, Emery Lord’s gorgeous writing hits all the right notes.


My Thoughts
So I am finally back (yay!). For good. I am late on the bandwagon and I just heard about Open Road Summer for a book club, but I'm rather upset that I didn't read it before, because....

Oh my goodness. I loved just about every word. I like how this goes through a road trip for a concert tour for a famous young singer, Dee Montgomery, Her best friend, trouble-child Reagan joins her. After a scandalous rumor, another singer, Matt Finch joins the girls on tour. Matt tries to win over Reagan, and she begins to fall for him, no matter how hard she tries not to.

I think one of my favorite points of this story is the media and its effects. Newspapers, magazines, and websites all publish unfavorable and completely untrue information about Dee, the picture-perfect idol for all young girls. Of course, we see how this affects Dee's fans and Dee herself. She gets increasingly stressed, understandably. But it's important to realize how untrue how the media can be. I like how that is put in.

Reagan is such an incredible character. She's a real sweetheart under everything and she knows her faults, probably more so than others around her. She has made mistakes, some really awful. She's hurt people around her, but she would die for her best friend. This story is told by her and we get to see how she struggles to love and to live her life without hurting people. I love that struggle. I love seeing such a real character and I love having an imperfect main character. Because people aren't perfect.

Aw, Matt is incredible. Swoon. Matt is the best type of book boyfriend, because he is the sweetest thing in the world, yet he is imperfect. Yay for imperfect but realistic characters! He flirts and teases, but under his perfect exterior, Matt is hurt and scarred. But he lets Reagan in and tries to get her to do the same, no matter how often she hurts him.

This book went in so many directions. At first, it goes through the concert tour, but as Reagan falls in love, we see her struggles, Matt's struggles, and Dee's struggles with her own romance. And the twist with Matt? Eeep! I was also so sad when Dee did...what Dee did. I'll leave it like that. It was really sweet, and I understand why she did it, but it still makes me sad.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment