Thursday, February 12, 2015

Blog Tour: Review: Henge


Henge by Realm Lovejoy 
(Le Fay #1) 
Publication date: November 11th 2014 
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

About the book:

Modern-day Camelot. Where knights no longer carry swords. Magic is dangerous. And those who seek control are not to be trusted.

Sixteen-year-old Morgan le Fay is a fire user. An ordinary girl with an extraordinary skill, she has the ability to create and command fire at will. Her dream is to become the Maven—the right hand of the future King Arthur. In the chance of a lifetime, Morgan is selected to join Arthur’s Round, an elite group of young magic users from which the new Maven will be chosen.

Along with the other fire, water, and wind users in Arthur’s Round, Morgan is rigorously trained and tested. The handsome Merlin, a brilliant water user, takes a particular interest in her. Is his friendship to be trusted, or is Merlin simply trying to win the position of Maven for himself? Among the many rivals Morgan faces is the current Maven, Mordred, who seems determined to see her fail.

But Morgan has a secret—years ago, her mother was executed for using fire magic, and Morgan’s desire for justice makes her more than ready to take on the challenge before her. Can she prevail in Camelot’s tests of survival and magic? Only time—and Morgan’s powerful fire—will tell.

Realm Lovejoy’s modern Arthurian series features one of literature’s most complicated and powerful female figures. Henge is the first book in the LE FAY series, and—like Morgan le Fay’s magic—it is sure to dazzle and amaze.

My Thoughts:
Oh. My. Gosh. Eeep! This book was so freakin' fantastic and I LOVED it!

First off, I love anything Arthurian-legend. I also have an obsession with the show Merlin, which was a huge problem reading this because I tried to put the characters to the actors and fit them to personalities and yeah. That didn't work. But I've also read Howard Pyle's original story of Arthur and I liked it a lot. So this was a story I couldn't pass up, as you can probably tell from how many times it's been on the blog so far.

I think one of my very favorite things about Henge is that we are in Morgan's point of view. She tells the story (by the way, she's a wonderful story-teller). I like how it works out, because the whole time, I could only think about how Morgana ends up being Arthur's doom. And I just couldn't see that through Morgan. Until the story progressed. And I LOVE how Realm shows Morgan's struggles to remain kind and friendly when her dreams are being ripped away. I love how we go through and see reasons why Morgan changed. And I like seeing her before. The ending almost killed me because of what it did to her. But I still loved it.

Merlin. Oh, Merlin. Merlin, Merlin, Merlin, Merlin. If I type his name more, maybe he'll show up. Because I'd like that. Merlin. Okay, fine, it won't work. But Merlin is seriously awesome. For one, he's portrayed as the perfect teenager who literally is just perfection. But as we get to know him, we realize he is not completely perfect. He has flaws. But he is also pretty confident, so usually we don't see the flaws. He starts to care for Morgan, which I totally ship, but then he does stuff she hates but it's for her own good and yeah, they have a friendship-fall-out. Sadness. But Merlin is simply amazing and I want him as a friend.

I'm just so happy with the twist on such a classic. This is modern-day, and the world knows about Camelot, which is just sitting in the middle of the U.K. To get into Camelot, teenagers audition using their magic and are judged. The top users are drafted in. Of course Morgan makes it, and then we get to see how Camelot is. It's definitely more modern, but I can just picture it in my head. Morgan is shooting for the spot of Arthur's right-hand man, the Maven. Camelot picks the top student for the job. Arthur is also only thirteen, so a very impressionable teenager. I like that twist. It's cute, but it gives the story a lot of room to develop him.

Whoa I did not see the antagonist coming. No spoilers, but whoa. Huge surprise. That went crazy. I can't say any more without giving it away.

The only problem I had was the very beginning was rushed. The first few chapters, especially when Morgan was at home. I wanted to get more of a feel for the story before plunging headfirst into it. There was a part with her father that was so fast, and I wanted to feel out the relationship more. Because that particular scene would not have been over so quickly.

I definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone and I need the sequel right now. ASAP. It's not in my hands yet. This could be a problem.

I was going to give this a 4.5 because of the slight rushing, but as I wrote this, I realized I can't do anything under 5. The rushing wasn't distracting to me and I thoroughly enjoyed the story as it was. I have to go find myself a paperback. I cannot live with only an ebook.

5 stars

Giveaway:
Tour-wide giveaway
1 signed copy of Henge + swag (US only)
1 Amazon Giftcard ($20) (INTL)
2 paperbacks of Henge (US only)
4 ebook copies of of Henge (INTL)

a Rafflecopter giveaway


About the Author:

Realm Lovejoy is an American writer and an artist. She grew up in both Washington State and the Japanese Alps of Nagano, Japan. Currently, she lives in Seattle and works as an artist in the video game industry. CLAN is her first book. You can find out more about her and her book at www.realmlovejoy.com
 
~Ashley







4 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Ashley! I'm not familiar with the Arthurian-legend very much but I'm still intrigued by this book. I didn't know much about the greek mythologies before I read Percy Jackson either and I loved that series! It sounds like a great retelling and I'm def curious about the twists! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!!! The twists make this book perfect. You need to read a copy ASAP.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for reading Henge and taking the time to write a detailed review, Ashley! Also thank you for crossposting on Amazon. I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed the book, especially since you love the Arthurian legends! I'm also glad that you liked Merlin. I hope you'll enjoy the next book too! It will be coming out later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing! And ohmygosh I can't wait!

      Delete