Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Review: I'll Meet You There

21469068I'll Meet You There
By: Heather Demetrios


If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.


My Thoughts:
I'm still trying to figure out how to review this without just saying, "Go buy this book!" I'll try. Doesn't mean I'll succeed.

So I have been eyeing this book for about six months now. Ever since I saw its cover and read the synopsis, I've been dying to read this. So when Heather announced her preorder campaign, I couldn't hold off any longer, even though I'm in an oath to not buy any books. I was not disappointed. In fact, I am so satisfied with this book that I can't truly function right now. It was that crazy good.

First off, the entire book is so realistic. Dialogue is spot on, as are settings. These teenagers act like typical teens just out of high school. They mess things up. Heather does not sugarcoat that, just lets the truth fall on the page. I also love the cute little line, "How's the Sky today?" Seriously. One of my favorite lines.

I have to say that IMYT has the best quotes. I think my favorite is "And maybe people were like collages--no matter how broken or useless we felt, we were an essential part of the whole. We mattered." That's actually written on my whiteboard currently because I love it so much.

Josh is such a swoonworthy book boyfriend. He's hot and a Marine. And hot. But seriously, he has his own goals that make him want to leave but he gets stuck back. Also, Chris is the perfect best friend. I couldn't stop smiling whenever he was talking. I want friendships like Sky has with Dylan and Chris. Okay, I'll just finish with I adore all of the characters.

Heather did an excellent job with Josh's PTSD. He has the pain and the suffering, as well as the flashbacks and nightmares. He has his moments. But through everything, she proves that he is still worthy of being loved.

Josh's POV is incredibly. And incredibly sad. I was crying on chapter six. He speaks to someone directly instead of simply telling a story. It's so powerful and it shows what he really feels. I love it.

Whew. I did it. But now, go buy this book. It's perfect to read over Valentine's Day, instead of go on dates. Seriously. Who needs a boyfriend when you have Josh?

5 stars

Preorder Campaign:
Heather Demetrios is currently having a campaign that ends February 14. If you order I'll Meet You There before then and email proof of purchase, you will receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, and the sweetest letter from Josh that tells what happens next. And I assure you, the letter must not be missed. 

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment